What is Wellbutrin XL 150mg (bupropion)?
Wellbutrin XL 150mg (bupropion) is an antidepressant that treats a number of conditions. One factor that makes it especially unique among antidepressants is that Wellbutrin XL 150mg doesn’t tend to affect your libido and sexual function. In fact, it’s often prescribed along with other antidepressants to help counter the sexual side effects found in other types like loss of desire.
Formulations and Dosage
Among antidepressants, Wellbutrin (bupropion) is in a category all its own—it’s the only medication in its class, called norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs), that boosts the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. By contrast, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac (fluoxetine) and Zoloft (sertraline) affect serotonin, while serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Effexor (venlafaxine) boost norepinephrine and serotonin.
Wellbutrin contains chemicals called aminoketones and comes in three versions, including:
- Immediate release: The regular formulation, simply named Wellbutrin, is an immediate release medication, which means that it begins to work shortly after you take it. Because it acts quickly, it can be taken up to three or four times a day. This formulation is used to treat major depressive disorder (MDD). A starting dose is usually 100 mg taken twice a day and potentially increased to 100 mg taken three times a day. The maximum dose is 150 mg per single dose.
- Sustained release: Wellbutrin SR, the sustained release version, also treats MDD. This formulation is typically started at 150 mg once a day and potentially increased to 150 mg twice a day. It can be increased to a maximum of 200 mg taken twice a day.
- Extended-release: Taken once a day, Wellbutrin XL is used to treat MDD and to prevent seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It’s typically started out as a dose of 150 mg once a day and can be increased to 300 mg or even 450 mg maximum, both taken once a day.
Common Side Effects Wellbutrin XL 150mg
Side effects may go away within a few weeks as your body adjusts. The most common side effects for Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, and Wellbutrin XL include:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in the way food tastes
- Increased sweating
- Weight loss
- Joint aches
- Appetite loss
- Urinating more than usual
- Ringing in your ears
- Abdominal pain
Severe Side Effects Wellbutrin XL 150mg
Some side effects of Wellbutrin XL 150mg can be severe or even potentially life-threatening. Get medical help right away if you experience any of these while taking any version of Wellbutrin:
- Skin rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; a feeling of tightness in your chest; swelling of your mouth, face, or tongue; and/or unusual hoarseness, all signs that you may be having a serious allergic reaction to the drug
- Changes in vision
- Changes in sexual desire or function
- Chest pain
- Dark urine
- Delusions or hallucinations
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Fever, chills, or a sore throat
- Hearing problems
- Changes in your menstrual cycle
- Worsening depression and/or suicidal thoughts
- Exaggerated feelings of well-being
- Trouble concentrating
- Panic attacks
- Inability to sit still
- Pale-colored stools
- Swollen, blistered, or peeling skin
- Severe headache
- Severe or lingering joint or muscle pain
- Severe or lingering nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain
- Severe or lingering nervousness, restlessness, or insomnia
- Difficulty breathing
- Unusual swelling
- Yellow skin or eyes